#EISAPEC18 – Call for Sections – A New Hope: Back to the Future of IR
New Perspectives is Delighted to share this advance information about the #EISAPEC18 conference, co-hosted by our publisher the IIR Prague, which will appear on EISA’s website when it is updated.
EISA 12th Pan-European Conference on International Relations, Prague
A New Hope: Back to the Future of International Relations
Call for Section Proposals:
Venue: University of Economics (VSE) and Institute of International Relations (IIR), Prague
Dates: September 12-15, 2018
Theme – A New Hope: Back to The Future of International Relations (details below)
Programme Co-Chairs: Dr Halvard Leira (NUPI) and Dr Ayse Zarakol (University of Cambridge)
Local Organiser; Dr Benjamin Tallis, IIR Prague
Local Host: Štěpánka Zemanová, VSE Prague
Call For Sections – Opens: 02/10/2017 (All details & requirements below)
Call for Sections – Closes: 06/11/2017
Successful Section proposers will be notified in early December 2017, after which a general call for paper and panel proposals will be open until 01 February 2018.
All necessary information for Section proposals is listed below and must be submitted through the form that will be open here when the call formally opens on 02/10/2017.
A NEW HOPE: BACK TO THE FUTURE OF INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS
International relations, both the subject matter and the discipline, have been in a state of malaise for at least a decade: a seemingly never-ending stream of wars and crises in our object of study is matched by a perceived disciplinary fragmentation and the alleged end of cohesive theorising about major issues. Yet we often overlook the many reasons for not despairing: for example, globally, fewer people than ever live in poverty and an energy revolution might be underway, while the discipline of IR has become a more eclectic and inclusive space in terms of both its approaches and its demographics. As a problem oriented discipline, IR has for more than a century oscillated between bleak pessimism about the scale of the problems and naïve optimism about future solutions. After a decade of despair, it is time that we once again broaden our horizons to include at least the possibility of hope.
The 12th Pan-European Conference on International Relations invites the International Studies community to explore the possible future(s) of international relations: will we be seeing recurring patterns of enmity and conflict, a gradual change beyond the system or a positive trajectory towards a better future? Is that future inevitable? Which present day choices are more instrumental in shaping the things to come? We particularly welcome contributions that look to the future while being grounded in nuanced understandings of the past. While we encourage participants to submit proposals in line with the conference theme, we are open to and invite contributions from all sub-fields of International Studies, as well as from the other branches of the social sciences that are concerned with similar questions and themes.
Key Responsibilities of Section Chairs
- Proposing a section around a theme; populating preliminary panels at the proposal stage; maintaining a balance between established and emerging scholars, and postgraduate students; ensuring diversity in participation including, but not limited to gender (no all-male panels) and region (no panels comprising scholars based in 1 country).
- Composing the rest of the section’s programme, by selecting papers and panels that were proposed in response to the call for papers (and combining or amending them where necessary)
- Identifying and gaining agreement from suitable people to act as panel chairs and discussants;
- Engaging with PEC programme chairs in updating section programme on an ongoing basis to take account of withdrawals or cancellations
- Taking overall responsibility for the actual execution of their section’s contribution to the conference programme.
Information Required for Section Proposal
(to be submitted by electronic form which will open on 02/10/2017)
- Names, affiliations and contact details of proposed section chairs
- Previous experience of / suitability for organising a section at the Pan-European Conference
- Proposed Section Title
- Proposed Section Description (Themes, Rationales, etc)
- Estimated size of Proposed Section (5 or 10 panels)
- Tentative/Provisional Indications of Possible Panels
Timeline – To inform Section Chairs’ planning and workload management
- 02/10/2017 – Call for Sections Opens
- 06/11/2017 – Call for Sections Closes
- 04/12/2017 – Decision on Sections
- 04/12/2017 – General Paper and Panel Call Opens
- 01/02/2018 – General Paper and Panel Call Closes
- 05/03/2018 – First Choice Selection by Section Chairs
- 02/04/2018 – Deadline for Panel Forming by Section Chairs
- 12/04/2018 – Acceptance letters (emails) – Registration Opens
- 14/05/2018 – Registration Closes – Deadline
- 05/06/2018 – Finalisation of Sections
- 15/08/2018 – Finalisation of Programme
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for general enquiries about EISAPEC18.
Image from – Back To The Future inspired shoot of a Delorean by Torque Photography